As a doula, I have found that the best way to support a mother during her labor and birth is by getting to know her prior to that event.
If I get to know her, I can learn a little about how she copes with stress and discomfort. I can learn how she relaxes. I can learn how she likes to be touched (or not!). I can learn many things that will help me to help her during her labor and birth that I wouldn’t know if I walked into that scenario with no prior knowledge of her personality. To accomplish that goal of fully meeting a mother’s needs, I offer a comprehensive birth support plan that includes the following:
- 1 or 2 prenatal preparation sessions (depending on time between hire & due date)
- phone, text, email support from date of hire
- access to doula’s personal resource library (books, DVDs, etc.)
- 24/7 on call availability beginning 2 weeks prior to due date
- continuous support once called for labor/birth
- 1-2 hours of immediate post-birth support
- assistance with initial breastfeeding
- postpartum follow up visit
I will consider payment plans, barter, or sliding scale in case of severe financial constraint.
As first time parents-to-be, we were so glad that we took advantage of Tracy’s childbirth education and doula services….
Our experience at the hospital was perfect and I have clear memories of my son’s birth to cherish all my life, thanks in no small part to Tracy’s assistance.
“It is no small thing that they, who are so fresh from God, love us.”
— Charles Dickens